May 16, 2011

The Prague Blog (with a side of Wien) - Part 1

Greetings and Salutations from the upper deck of the Vita Nova, a houseboat hostel situated in one of Amsterdam's infamous canals!  I am issuing this entry as an epic two-part series because I've got lots of pictures and uploading too many at one time makes my computer's brain hurt a lot.  So please bear with me and don't be mad that the time between blogs has recently doubled.  That's what happens when you're joined by a bunch of clowns and all they want to do is have fun with you.  Again, life = hard.

Got to Holland a few days ago and was taken on a grand tour of the countryside for a few days by a native Dutchie. Quite a beautiful place full of flowers, cheese and beer.  Can't go wrong with that combination.  Today marks the reunion of two of the greatest pricing analysts in the history of WESCO, me and Mr. Charles J. Huckestein.  We already walked through the red light district and took in some of the local sights and smells (get it?).  Now that little jerk is taking a nap and I've got nothing better to do than entertain the masses with more tales of revelry.

My timeline is totally off these days because when you have travel buddies time flies by at a feverish pitch.  So let's just say that I was in Vienna about 2 weeks ago.  I feel slightly bad about my experince there because I was mostly using it as a time wasting stopover before I got to Praha and got to travel with a best bud who I will introduce you to in a little bit.  But anyways, Vienna is really a beautiful city and I saw a lot of really cool buildings and monuments and museums and things of that nature.  Unfortunately I don't really know what any of them were so instead of pretending that I do, let's just focus on funny stuff that I observed there:
Austrians sure know how to party

Weiner references everywhere! What a sick and twisted place

Surprisingly smart selection of music at this little shop

As I've mentioned before, I have the same sense of humor as a 13 year old boy so this is hilarious!

Mozart played with the Weiner Philharmoniker.  Wait til the tabloids here about that one!

Creepy wax Mozart.  He's probably thinking about Weiner related things.

All kidding aside, Vienna really is beautiful.  This is evidence of the fact that my trip there involved more than just cheap penis jokes.

But not that much more.  Haha.  No comment.

So after I departed the most phallic city in the whole world, I hopped on a bus to a little place called Prague.  Maybe you've heard of it?  It's a lovely city full of gothic architecture, pilsner beer and parties all the time.  It was in this cozy Czech hamlet that I was reunited with my wee little sidekick, Kelly.  She is an international woman of mystery so I was honored to be able to travel alongside her for the week.  Much like when my family met me in Croatia, I was overjoyed to see the familiar face of someone so dear to my heart.  Throughout the course of the week did our best to set back US/Czech international relations at least several decades.  I think we succeeded remarkably well.  We stayed in a nice little apartment right off of the main square in the old town area so the location was ideal.  Even so, we managed to get lost all the time.  Czech street names are all Nastrikovy this and Zelenekaostriky that.  Anyways we always made it home eventually.  Here's what our adventure looked like: 
The jetsetter cheesin in front of the main town square.  That castle in the background was the inspiration for the Disney logo...or at least that's what we were told by someone with questionable credibility.  So that may be a tremendous lie.

The world famous Astronomical Clock.  People gather here at the top of every hour to see the most anti-climactic display I've ever seen.  Some little skeleton dude pops out and his head moves about an inch in either direction and then some chimes play and then its over.  Most people look bitterly disappointed when its over so that was more entertaining to watch.

Pilsner Urquell everywhere.  Beer is cheaper than water and the people definitely make the most of that.  I dug it.
Bird's eye view of the city.  Bridges automatically make a place cooler. 

What a diva.  On an unrelated note, we noticed that the people of Prague were fascinated with two things: my hair and Kelly's mocassins.  So from what we could gather, they were jealous.

Interior of the church on the grounds of the Presidential Palace.  Very impressive place.

I'm going to get in trouble for posting this, but it's just too good not to share.  A strip joint called Jag's?  Are you kidding me?  She's still waiting to hear back about the audition...

Just taking in some Czech football.  No big deal.
Ok Part 1 is now over.  Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion.  Should be debuting in a few short hours.  Or maybe longer.  Only the wind knows for sure....

1 comment: